From December 2010 to November 2012 I worked as a volunteer with Peace Corps in the Far North of Cameroon. I oversaw a project called "Communicating Change," which resulted in the creation of a women’s advocacy organization that uses media to generate income and advocate for women's rights and equality. I am happy to report the organization is still functioning; however, it is with concern that I detail the challenges of the project.
After finishing my service in November 2012, my successor to the project moved to Mokolo in the beginning of December. Shortly after, in mid February, in a nearby town, a French family was kidnapped by the Islamist terrorist group Boco Haram. All Peace Corps programs in the Far North, including Mokolo, were temporarily suspended and my successor was evacuated. In April, Peace Corps closed the programs in the Far North, including Mokolo. The women in the association were devastated by the loss of the volunteer. After hearing the news, I contacted a good friend named Alim, who is the founder of a successful organization called Education Fights Aids (EFA) in the nearby city of Maroua. Alim has helped the association continue its development and the women have done a tremendous job in continuing to make the organization work on their own. They have shown a lot of perseverance in the face of these challenges, including the fear and anxiety caused by the sudden departure of the new volunteer. Thus, the project has been considerably successful.
However, as a result of these circumstances, there are still loose ends. While Alim has done an amazing job, there are still many remaining challenges. Alim is in a distant city and busy managing his own organziation. Moreover, the women seem unsure what they can and cannot do with the equipment now that there is no longer a Peace Corps volunteer present. So while progress continues, it continues slowly.
Since volunteers are now prohibited from entering the Far North, I would like to visit Mokolo this July to tie up the loose ends and bring closure to the women regarding Peace Corps’ involvement in the project. I am launching an independent funding campaign to pay for my flight to Cameroon, in-country travel costs, and hotel. In Cameroon, I hope to assess their current situation, conduct a final training, and help them establish more solid partnerships and a strategic plan for the future. I believe this will be the catalyst they need to recuperate from the loss of the volunteer, gain confidence, and sustain their organization into the future.
The website for my fund campaign is http://www.gofundme.com/6accs8. Please consider donating!
These women and this project mean a great deal to me. Below is a short (8 1/2 min) movie about the project:
After finishing my service in November 2012, my successor to the project moved to Mokolo in the beginning of December. Shortly after, in mid February, in a nearby town, a French family was kidnapped by the Islamist terrorist group Boco Haram. All Peace Corps programs in the Far North, including Mokolo, were temporarily suspended and my successor was evacuated. In April, Peace Corps closed the programs in the Far North, including Mokolo. The women in the association were devastated by the loss of the volunteer. After hearing the news, I contacted a good friend named Alim, who is the founder of a successful organization called Education Fights Aids (EFA) in the nearby city of Maroua. Alim has helped the association continue its development and the women have done a tremendous job in continuing to make the organization work on their own. They have shown a lot of perseverance in the face of these challenges, including the fear and anxiety caused by the sudden departure of the new volunteer. Thus, the project has been considerably successful.
However, as a result of these circumstances, there are still loose ends. While Alim has done an amazing job, there are still many remaining challenges. Alim is in a distant city and busy managing his own organziation. Moreover, the women seem unsure what they can and cannot do with the equipment now that there is no longer a Peace Corps volunteer present. So while progress continues, it continues slowly.
Since volunteers are now prohibited from entering the Far North, I would like to visit Mokolo this July to tie up the loose ends and bring closure to the women regarding Peace Corps’ involvement in the project. I am launching an independent funding campaign to pay for my flight to Cameroon, in-country travel costs, and hotel. In Cameroon, I hope to assess their current situation, conduct a final training, and help them establish more solid partnerships and a strategic plan for the future. I believe this will be the catalyst they need to recuperate from the loss of the volunteer, gain confidence, and sustain their organization into the future.
The website for my fund campaign is http://www.gofundme.com/6accs8. Please consider donating!
These women and this project mean a great deal to me. Below is a short (8 1/2 min) movie about the project:
No comments:
Post a Comment