Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Introduction to My Blog

Consider this first post similar to the warning label that tells you not to iron your clothes while you’re wearing them.  I want to caution you against something that may seem ridiculously obvious that you should not do, but on occasion it may be tempting (like the wrinkly end of a shirt tail on a particularly hurried morning).   I am warning you that you should not read my blog unless you are willing to lay aside your image of me or who you may want me to be. Otherwise: the contents of this blog may cause hurt, anger, unhappiness, disappointment, frustration, or judgment. However, used properly (with an open mind) it will hopefully create joy, laughter, insight, acceptance, and understanding. Although my original reason for starting this blog was to share my experience of the Peace Corps in Cameroon, a 27 month commitment, I have realized that for me there is a greater purpose.  Not only will we be able to stay better connected, but through this blog we will also be sharing in our humanity.  I will reveal my thoughts, feelings, strengths, weaknesses, hopes, fears, triumphs and failures and in exchange for this vulnerability, I challenge you to feel what I feel, to connect my experiences to yours, and to recognize the ways in which we are all the same.

2 comments:

  1. Tina, your blog disclaimer excites me! I can't wait to read all the details. Travel safely!
    - Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited for you to meet your fellow training class of Volunteers. I know you will make a great impression on your cohort, and I hope you find a person or two with whom you have much in common, and can begin friendships. Enjoy the activities during your Staging in Philadelphia, and try to get lots of rest on the flight to Brussels ...or in French "Bruxelles."
    I absolutely love your blog introductions, and along with Mia I very much look forward to reading your entries! :-)

    ReplyDelete