The stadium is my favorite place in Mokolo. Although it is neither scenic nor charming, it is meaningful to me. Comprised of a giant field of sand and concrete, it lies near the center of the village, shielded by a row of stalwart trees just off the paved road. On the opposite side of the road, a shelter of bleachers, painted in a faded red, green and yellow of the Cameroonian flag is situated in front of the soccer field, while the basketball, handball, and volleyball courts are farther from view, on each side.
When I come to run in the evenings, these structures are filled with players and officials, wearing bright nylon jerseys that glisten in the weakened sun, as well as spectators and passersby that line and crowd the surrounding walls and pathways. Nearly all of them are males of different ages, and their voices create a steady roar of shouting and talking, which is only broken up by the crunch of loose and rocky dirt beneath my feet. I enjoy the likeness of my own movements and those around me, as well as the contrast of my inner-quiet against the background of the chaos. But even more, I take pleasure in a feeling of empowerment, knowing that by occupying this space, I am defying stereotypes as a White person, and as a female, both of whom are viewed as weak (Whites, physically; women both physically and mentally).
And while in the evenings, the stadium is characterized by the frenzied dominance of male crowds, in the mornings, it is calm and solitary. As I cut across it diagonally to reach work, my senses are heightened to the energy in my body, the light breeze across my cheek, the brilliant colors of sand and sky. By the time I reach the middle of the field, I feel small and insignificant against the vastness of the dome of space encircling me. I am reminded to be grateful for my presence in an immense and changing universe.
Thus, even though the stadium seems to be an insignificant and unattractive landmark among many in town, it has meaning for me beyond its appearance. It is imprinted by the source of inner-strength that I draw upon to be here.
No comments:
Post a Comment